2012-present: Professor in College of Engineering and Applied Sciences, Nanjing University (南京大学，现代工程与应用学院）
- Established an atomic-resolution characterization research facility, called Sub-Atomic Resolution Electron Microscopy Laboratory. The laboratory holds two high-end microscopes one of which is a double aberration-corrected transmission electron microscope, Titan3 Cubed 60-300 with Monochrometer, SuperEDS and Dual EELS.
- Lecturing TEM for Materials Characterization for undergraduates and postgraduates in English.
- Teaching and training postdocs, researchers, faculties and external visitors of theory and operation of EM.
2008-2012: Research Fellow in Department of Materials, University of Oxford, UK
- The implementation of scanning confocal electron microscopy (SCEM) in a double aberration-corrected transmission electron microscope (TEM), JEM 2200 MCO.
2006-2008: Research Associate in SuperSTEM laboratory, Science and Technology Facilities Council Laboratory, Warrington, UK
- Day-to-day operating and maintaining two world-leading aberration corrected scanning transmission electron microscopes (SuperSTEM I and II); Investigated a wide spectrum of novel nanomaterials in collaboration with external users from various universities and industries. Providing technical support and expertise solutions to the users and contributing to their publications.
- Optimized SuperSTEM II (UltraSTEM100): Pushing the performances of UltraSTEM and Enfina EELS spectrometer; Working closely with Nion company.
Education and Qualifications
2003-2006: Ph.D. in Engineering, University of Liverpool, Liverpool, UK
- Quantitative characterization of the indium distribution within the InAs/GaAs quantum dots (QDs) buried in a laser structure by combining HAADF imaging and EELS techniques at near atomic resolution on SuperSTEM I.
- Developed a novel “Stereographic Visibility Spherical Bands” to calculate the lattice contrast visibility of nano-crystalline material in HAADF image from the stereographic projection in the geometric aspects. The visualization software has been published as a teaching material on: http://www.matter.org.uk/stereography/.
2001-2003: M.Sc. in Materials Science, Kyungpook National University, Daegu, South Korea
1997-2001: B.Sc. in Materials Science, Harbin Institute of Technology, Harbin, China